Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Tuesday, July 14

We are still in Kasilof on the Kenai peninsula.  Yesterday, Monday,  Mark and I fished the Kasilof river for about 5 hours but with no luck.  Oops, Mark caught a nice Dolly Varden…it is kin to a trout.  But, since we were fishing for salmon he returned it to the river.  Bob was our net man and stayed with us the whole time we fished.  It was very cool and overcast for most of the day.  The river was fast and cold but my feet did not turn to ice cubes.  We had to walk a ways from our parking area through some fairly dense growth but there was a bit of a trail.  It was much easier getting to the river than it was coming back.  My legs did not want to move.  Again, the flowers were so pretty. 003 005 008 010 013 019 022 029 030 031

032

We were very tired last night but not too tired to eat shrimp gumbo that Susan made for everyone.   Being from Louisiana, she knows just how to do it.  It was early to bed.

Today, Tuesday, Mark and I drove into Soldotna to fish the Kenai River.  I guess we got there around 10:00 am.  My feet got cold shortly after we got into the river…maybe because I was in a little deeper water.  There were more people fishing as the Kenai is the main river to fish for salmon.  Mark had caught 2 nice ones by the time Bob came in and took me to lunch about 1:00.  It was nice to sit for a few minutes.  Back to the river but no luck for me.  Well, that is not entirely true…I hooked a little fish that was about 5-6 inches long.  Poor little guy, I felt so bad.  People were catching fish all up and down from where we were but I was fishless.  Then we were getting ready to leave when Wham!!!!  my line took off.  Unfortunately, the drag was not set properly on my reel and that sucker was gone.  He had a good run before the line broke and he was history.  Mark came over and was trying to help me and one of the guys around us had run to get a net.  Too bad…maybe tomorrow.  But it was a learning experience.  Truthfully I am not sure I am strong enough to even land one of these babies.  We will see but it sure was exciting.  Tomorrow is another day.

Moving on.

No comments:

Post a Comment